The Evolution of Water Treatment
Chemical Water Treatment started in the 1940’s and there has been minimal improvements in last 10 years. Chemicals used to allow:
- Water-energy conservation but limited by hardness, silica, TDS, and Indexes
- Corrosion rates acceptable to Industry
There are a lot of disadvantages associated with chemical water treatment:
- Handling, storage, and disposal of toxic chemicals.
- Wastes 20 to 50% of the makeup water used.
- Constant flux to keep chemicals, cycles, and results in balance.
- Annual cost increases due to raw material and freight cost increases.
- Silica and other ion content in makeup water limits cycles.
- Local Chemical Representative competency affects the quality of the program.
NCD (Non-Chemical Devices)
Non-Chemical Devices were started in the 1970’s to alleviate the disadvantages listed above. Several technologies have been tried: Magnetic; Electrostatic; Catalytic; Pulsed Power; Kinetic Energy, Cavitation, etc. While they mean well, these technologies seemed to fall flat on issues like water savings, use of toxic chemicals, and scale & corrosion protection. Also there was a lack of residual treatment affects when machines aren’t running or left idle.
Zero Blow Down
Zero Blow Down began in the 2000’s to simplify the treatment of cooling water and to eliminate the use of chemicals. High Efficiency Softening (HES) removes all of the hardness ions before they enter the system. Concentration of natural chemistry provides corrosion and microbiological control over the water. Businesses can gain 7 LEED points with the corrosion protection with a natural “green” chemistry. It also eliminates all blow down from the cooling system, maximizing water savings. There is less than 2% loss of all make up water use. It is a simple process for any kind of water quality (recycled, RO reject, well, etc.) and there are no indexes to balance. It also includes 24/7 online monitoring of your system.
Why WCTI (Zero Blow Down) is the Best Choice!
- Maximum water savings versus any other technology; therefore best overall ROI
- Simplified water treatment process and elimination of toxic chemicals
- Unprecedented low corrosion rates, scale prevention and bio fouling prevention.
- Can be used with all make up water sources.
- Remote monitoring of the process to assure reliability.
- LEED points